Deputies were called to a house on Tyree Mountain Rd. Thursday after a report of a grass fire.
The caller, 19-year-old Winston Williams, told deputies the fire was caused by fireworks.
When deputies made it to the scene, several fire agencies were already fighting the fire which had spread to the house.
After speaking to Williams, he admitted that he was shooting bottle rockets off the front porch with the homeowner's two sons which sparked the fire in the grass. The grass fire eventually spread to the porch and caught the house on fire.
One person was in the home at the time, but he was able to escape unharmed.
The outdoor temperature at the time of the fire was approximately 102 degrees and the county was under a burn ban due to the dry conditions.
When deputies asked Williams why he was lighting bottle rockets during a burn ban, he said he did not know the county was under a burn ban.
He was issued a warning for unlawful burning.
Sheriff Helder would like to remind residents that a burn ban is in effect for Washington County which includes the use of any type of fireworks.