First, shot them off in an open, flat area at least 50 feet from any building. Be sure to have a fire extinguisher or water hose nearby. And only use fireworks according to the directions, don't try to alter or combine them.
Check out the entire press release from the city below.
This is the third year in which fireworks can be sold within the city limits of Fayetteville for the 4th of July holiday. The public may lawfully use consumer fireworks within Fayetteville, with some exceptions.
Fireworks may only be discharged upon private property with the consent of the property owner and between the hours of 10:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. on July 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and from 10:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. on July 4th and at no other time or date. If any person less than the age of 16 years is present, an adult (at least 21 years of age) must supervise the discharge of all fireworks. Skyrockets or aerial fireworks attached to a stick (bottle rockets) may not be discharged within the city limits of Fayetteville.
Please be advised that the use of fireworks comes with the need for safety precautions. Safety depends on using them legally and responsibility. Therefore, taking extra precautions can avoid injury and property damage by consumer fireworks. The Fayetteville Fire Marshal's Office wants you to have a safe holiday; therefore, we ask that you please consider the following recommendations:
- Proceed with caution!!
- Provide an open area,
- no over-hang of foliage
- minimum of 50' clearance from building/spectators/vehicles
- flat surface to set fireworks on
- Provide a working fire extinguisher and water hose
- Read label and instructions of each fireworks product
- Don't use if the item has been damaged or has been wet
- If any person under 16 years of age is present while fireworks are discharged, an adult at least 21 years of age must supervise
- Do not wear loose clothing or open-toe shoes
- Only use fireworks as intended. Don't try to alter them or combine them
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Just like having a designated driver, have a designated igniter.
Celebrations can become tragic when someone is injured by consumer fireworks. We want you to have a safe holiday, so please take the time to provide a safe environment. Happy 4th of July!