Recipe: Harvest Dumplings
-4 medium apples
-1/2 cup chopped SNICKERS bars
-1 tablespoon water
*Pie Dough Ingredients & Recipe
-1 cup flour
-1/2 pound butter
-1/4 cup sugar (or 4 tablespoons)
-pinch of salt
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
*Combine 1 cup flour and a 1/2 pound of butter in a mixer until it is the consistency of peas.
*Add 1/4 cup of sugar, a pinch of salt and a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla to the mixture and mix.
*Add cold water to the mixture until it is dough consistency.
*Refrigerate dough at least 20 minutes before using in recipe.
1. Hallow out the core of each apple and fill with chopped SNICKERS bars.
2. Unfold pie dough, and cut 4-inch circles from each round of pie dough. Lay rounds flat on the counter and make five 2-inch slits towards the center of the circle.
3. Lay dough over each apple and wrap slits up for ease of covering the apple. Tuck edges of the dough under each apple.
4. Beat 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl and brush over the pie dough.
5. Gather the left over dough scraps and re-roll them flat. Roll dough into sausage or stick shape and cut 1 1/2 inch pieces. Put one on each apple, like a stem.
6. Refrigerate while oven is pre-heating to 350 degrees.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes, then serve warm.
Makes about 4 dumplings.
Steven Brooks is the Executive Chef at Springdale Country Club. Chef Brooks offers monthly cooking classes at the club.
For nutritional information, check out the recipe at brightideas.com. (http://www.brightideas.com/bright_idea.aspx?ID=21)
Shot in the home of Dr. and Mrs. Randy Lais of Rogers, AR.