But what about CFLs and the possibility of mercury poisoning if they're broken?
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, compact fluorescent light bulbs use approximately 75-percent less energy than incandescents and last up to 10 times longer. But CFLs also contain mercury, and that's a real concern for a lot of people.
As for the actual threat of mercury poisoning, Terry McGowan, Director of Engineering and Technology for The American Lighting Association, says the whole issue is being "overblown".
In a recent report, McGowan stated that mercury has been used in traditional fluorescent light bulbs since about 1940, and there are no recorded cases of mercury poisoning as a result.
When it comes to mercury in compact fluorescents, EnergyStar.Gov states that CFLs contain small amounts of mercury -- approximately four milligrams per bulb.
The website says mercury is never released when the bulb is in tact, but that's not the case when they're broken. That's why it's important for consumers to make sure parts of a broken CFL or any debris left behind doesn't touch their skin or eyes when cleaning it up.