Many will be stoking their fireplaces with the dipping temperatures, but there are a few things to think about before lighting a fire.
Over time your flue or firebox can get damaged and creosote, a combination of unburned smoke, water, and oil, can build up in your chimney. All of these can ultimately cause your roof or house to catch on fire if not taken care of.
Jake Cromwell with Top Hat Services is reminding folks to get their chimney's looked at by a certified professional.
"If you're having it inspected annually and you're having it maintenanced as necessary, then you're in a lot more control of that risk than if you just kind of fire it up whenever you feel like it and don't worry about it because you don't use it that much."
It only takes about an hour and a half to get your entire chimney inspected from top to bottom, and again the professionals recommend you get your chimney inspected every year.
For more information about chimney safety, and how to find a certified, professional chimney sweep company in your area, click here.